One can never have enough hoodies. Hoodies are so popular that they literally have their own season — the hoodie season. In fact, revenue in the Jerseys, Sweatshirts & Pullovers segment amounts to US$124.10bn in 2022. The truth is that there’s nothing like a soft hoodie hugging your skin. They give you all the feels!
Hoodies are so popular that for the past few years, the custom hoodie market has been taken by the storm. Custom hoodies aren’t only meant to promote your brand; they are also a great way of sharing your art or just making your wardrobe more creative and personalized.
Whether you’re a dance group ordering your first custom hoodies or an influencer thinking of releasing your merch, it would make your life much easier if you knew the basic tips for choosing the right material for your custom hoodie.
Confused about how to get the best materials for a hoodie? When picking the right material for your custom hoodie, you’ll want to think about the climate you’ll be wearing it in, the activity you’ll be doing, and your own personal preferences. There are several different hoodie materials available in the market, so prepare yourself for a few hours of research.
Here, we’ll walk you through the best material for hoodie makers. Let’s jump right into it.
Cotton, Fleece, Nylon, Sweatshirt Knit, or Jersey Knit – Which One is the Best Material for Hoodies?
What material are hoodies made of? There are quite a few hoodie materials types. Let’s take a look at the most popular ones!
Cotton is hands down the best hoodie material.
Cotton is a popular hoodie material for custom hoodies because it is soft, durable, and comfortable to wear. It is also relatively inexpensive, making it a good choice for budget-minded shoppers. It is also lightweight, thus offering excellent flexibility to the body.
When choosing a cotton hoodie, be sure to select one that is machine-washable for the best results. The material will work well for a custom neck gaiter if that’s what you’re considering customizing as well.
Some of the benefits of choosing cotton for your custom hoodie include:
- Cotton is a natural fiber that is soft, absorbent, and durable, making it the most comfortable hoodie material.
- It is hypoallergenic, making it a good choice for people with sensitive skin.
- Cotton hoodies are usually comfortable to wear and easy to care for.
- Cotton is a renewable resource that is environmentally friendly.
- Cotton hoodies can be screen printed on easily, allowing you to create a unique design.
When considering what type of fabric to use for your custom hoodie, one option to consider is fleece. Fleece is a type of fabric that is made from polyester, which makes it very durable. It is also very soft and comfortable to wear, making it a popular choice for clothing. Fleece is also a good choice for a custom hoodie because it is very easy to care for and maintain.
You can simply machine wash it, and it will last for many years. However, one thing to keep in mind is that fleece hoodies can only be worn in winter. The cuddly fabric is made up of cotton and wool and is perfect for campers and trekkers. Want to add more durability to your hoodie? One great tip is to blend fleece with other types of hoodie material.
Some of the benefits of choosing fleece for your custom hoodie include:
- Fleece is an excellent fabric for custom hoodies because it is extremely comfortable and warm.
- It is also very durable, so your hoodie will last for years.
- It is also not so expensive, so you can get a great deal on your custom hoodie.
- Are you into winter outdoor activities? Fleece hoodies will be perfect for you.
- It is easy to take care of, making it the best quality material for hoodies.
If you’re looking for a fabric that will give your hoodie a little more shine and a good fall, Nylon is one of the good materials for hoodies to consider. It’s not as common as some of the other fabrics, but if you’re planning to only use the hoodie for a specific night event or party, it can be a great choice.
Nylon is also easy to care for, which is another bonus if you’re looking for a low-maintenance fabric. Keep in mind that Nylon can be less breathable than other fabrics, so it might not be the best choice if you’re looking for a hoodie to wear during a workout.
Additionally, Nylon hoodies are usually made of a water-resistant material, which makes them ideal for rainy weather conditions. They are also often lined with a soft material, making them comfortable to wear.
Some of the benefits of choosing Nylon for your custom hoodie include:
- Nylon is a durable and lightweight fabric that is perfect for custom hoodies.
- Custom hoodies made from Nylon are also easy to care for and can be machine washed and dried.
- Nylon hoodies give out a more sophisticated look, so they are perfect for evening and nighttime events.
- It is a water-resistant material, making it perfect for the rainy season.
One of the most common hoodie material types is a sweatshirt knit. The fabric is designed specifically for sweatshirts, and many hoodies are actually sweatshirts with hoods. Sweatshirt knit is easy to sew and care for, and it is both warm and breathable.
Most Sweatshirt knit is made from cotton, although you can find some that are made from a synthetic blend. This fabric has a moderate amount of stretch, making it comfortable to wear. A Sweatshirt knit hoodie is more roomy and loose-fitting, so you won’t have to worry about the fabric hugging onto your skin.
Some of the benefits of choosing a Sweatshirt knit for your custom hoodie include:
- Sweatshirt knit is a type of fabric that is comfortable to wear and ideal for chilly weather.
- This fabric is also known for being durable, which means your custom hoodie will last longer.
- It is also relatively easy to care for, so you won’t have to worry about putting extra effort into keeping your hoodie looking good.
- Finally, Sweatshirt knit fabric is versatile and can be used for a variety of different styles of hoodies, making it one of the best fabrics for hoodies.
If you’re looking for a custom hoodie that’s both comfortable and stylish, you may want to consider jersey knit. This type of fabric is often used in sportswear because it’s stretchy and breathable, making it ideal for active wear. Jersey knit is also relatively inexpensive, so it’s a great option if you’re on a budget. Jersey fabric is good for both summer and winter, depending on the yarn.
When choosing a jersey knit fabric for your custom hoodie, you’ll need to decide whether you want a light, medium, or heavy-weight fabric. Lightweight fabrics are great for warmer weather and layering, while heavier fabrics are better for colder weather and more substantial clothing items. Additionally, the fabric is more stretchable than the Sweatshirt knit.
Some of the benefits of choosing jersey knit for your custom hoodie include:
- This fabric is known for being stretchy and comfortable, making it a great choice for clothing that you want to be able to move around in. Jersey hoodies make for great workout outfits.
- Jersey knit is also breathable, which can be helpful if you plan on wearing your custom hoodie in warmer weather.
- Finally, this fabric is typically very affordable, which can be helpful if you are working with a tight budget.
Parting Ways – So, What’s the Best Hoodie Material?
So, what is the best material for making hoodies? It really depends on what you’re looking for. If you want something warm and cozy, go with cotton. If you’re looking for something more lightweight and breathable, try Nylon or Sweatshirt knit. And if you want something that’s super soft and comfortable, go with a jersey or fleece. No matter what material you choose, you can’t go wrong with a hoodie.
Tip: If you’re looking to create your own merchandise, we recommend finding a custom jeans manufacturer as well. Pairing your custom hoodies with custom jeans will give your merchandise a complete and cohesive look. Additionally, creating your own merch is not an easy job, as from learning about custom hoodie materials to types of seam, a lot goes into it. So, customizing both items together will be cheaper than if you were to purchase them separately.